Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Walking Pants (Invisible Man) Breakdown Video



[ Notice: I've reposted this in two parts. Look at the later postings.
Pants breakdown Part 1
]

[Notice: I've had to remove this file since it and the other podcasts are exceeding my bandwidth. I'll re-post once I locate a place that has large bandwidth and storage]

This is a video podcast breaking down a commercial I did. We see a walking pair of pants and a man with no pants in this invisible man type of spot. I discuss some possible approaches and then do a breakdown of key shots. Breakdown starts at 15:53.
This is encoded at 1/2 video res, h264 (ipod video format). You may need QuickTime 7 to view. Even at that it's almost 100MB for 36 minutes.
Let me know what you think. Thanks.

7 comments:

  1. Hello Scott! Thanks again for this great piece of knowledge.
    I've just got one question. How long did it take to acheive the whole post-production process?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was working on multiple projects at the same time so it's hard for me to be totally accurate but I'd estimate it took 1-2 weeks of effects work. I had a roto friend help with 2 or 3 shots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great great work! Thank you so much for sharing, scott u are sure one of a kind! You know i have been thinking of doing something relating to this, but didnt know how to go about it. Now i do! thanx 2 u, scott.Its really cool if u could continue to post videos. And why are u willing to share all these for free?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's to bad a lot of us could not see the video, maybe the people that could download it should upload it to a share page like yousendit.com or so, hope mr squires gets someone help him because this is really gold info people ..

    a VFX artist

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome.

    >And why are u willing to share all these for free?!
    I liek sharing knowledge and know that there's a lot missing in trying to learn about these types of things. I may consider a DVD or book in the future but as my tiem permits and out of pocket costs don't become too grate I'll try to keep things updated here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, this is very usefull to me since im going to sign in to a vfx school. Just curious, why shoot it on film and not video since it went to tv anyway. Hmmmmm yes but it is easyer to do roto at progresive right? If video it would have to be converted to progressive to do roto and back for tv, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Film still provides a better looking image and dynamic range than video. It's also still fairly standard for national commercials. If I had shot on video I'd probably try to shoot on a progressive video system. These days I can do shorts and tests on a DVX100 minDV that does true 24fps progressive.

    ReplyDelete

Messages are moderated so will be checked before posting. This can take a day or two.